Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The BREWER meets BATMAN..

This year in movies has been a lot like the beginning of Oliver Twist. It’s been the best of times and the worst of times. I am about to tell you my twist on the biggest movie of the year so far, why it’s a great movie and why its message is as dark as the title suggests.

Two-Faced

Before you accuse me of being like Harvey Dent, let me tell you there is nothing wrong with a Christian being entertained. When my parents were kids, they were told that if Jesus came back while they were in the movie house, they would all miss the rapture. So they snuck into the matinées hoping and praying the return of the Lord would be warded off one more day.

It’s a lot like teenage Christian boys do before they get married. They get on their knees besides their bed and pray with tears, “Please don’t come back before my wedding night!” There are some things a young man just doesn’t want to miss.

A Better Class of Criminal

Anyway, it’s ridiculous and downright counter-Christian to say we only belong in a church house. Religion is always focused on going to Heaven even it means blowing yourself up or flying a plane into a building. Christianity is all about bringing Heaven to earth. Overcoming evil with goodness; you know, life and life more abundantly. When religion bleeds over into Christianity, it’s just as ugly as Sharia law and the Brewer wants nothing to do with it.

The other side of Harvey’s coin is I realize Christ set me free for freedom’s sake. Not so I could be caught up in the same mess as everyone else. So there are lots of things I don’t want to be a part of. Just because its legal, doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. So when I go to a movie, I’ll enjoy it because it’s a good movie. Sometimes, I enjoy a well-made movie and totally disagree with the message it projects.

For me, the latest Batman movie was just like that.

If you asked me what I thought about the movie I would agree with most of what you have already heard. Great acting, the cinematography was awesome and the dialog was well thought out. I liked the pace of the movie and being a musician, the score and the sound would get a 10 from me. A well made movie not full of sex scenes and terrible language. I knew it would be violent so nothing shocked me or seemed way out of whack. Excellent movie.

Did I like it? No, not really.

Why So Serious?

There’s a theme I see a lot these days and nowhere better than in this movie. The theme has to do with loosing our minds, making terrible decisions and destructive behavior all based upon the trauma we suffer. The Joker, Two Face and even Batman himself, are all people that live in terrible darkness justified by something else terrible. The idea being if you have had something traumatic happen to you, it just makes sense to throw everything else out the window. I don’t like that and I see it everyday in people we are ministering to.

There is no hope in that message and it’s a growing theme to the mindset of our generation.

Lets Put a Smile on That Face

So if there are bats in your belfry, there’s still hope for a right mind. No matter what your history is, the truth of Christianity says your destiny in Christ is much greater. The love of God is greater than the pain of the world. I’m not minimizing anyone’s trauma; I’m simply maximizing your potential for a much greater future.

You’re no Joker. You’re somebody God has his eye on. He has bet his life on a much better future for all of us. You tap into your fullest once you hook up with Him.

...But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more. Romans 5:20

Contact the Brewer at www.FreshFromTheBrewer.com

No comments: