Friday, September 5, 2008

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR MEN

In a day where men are expected to get in touch with their feminine side let me say in all my hairy-leggedness, I am glad to be a man. I celebrate my masculinity and think that it’s cool to be a guy. In spite of what the Feminazis you have worked for have to say, its ok to be a man.

I believe with all my heart that men and women are supposed to be equal but I don’t believe they are supposed to be the same. Most men today have women for mentors and are pressured to act in a politically correct way that denies their identity and insures everyone in office can get along. Meanwhile TV, movies and advertisements increasingly portray men as simple-minded buffoons and as pawns to female strength and competence. Whatever!

It’s produced a bunch of limp wristed wimps that can’t get anything done. May God save us from men that won’t work and can’t feel secure unless their wife is holding their hand. May God also save us from a political agenda that appoints Lorena Bobbitt for Surgeon General.

Men, let me encourage you to fire up your man gene and be an independent visionary. Go outside and spit in the yard and quit shaving the hair off your chest. It’s ridiculous.

Seriously, when it comes to being a Godly man, there are Ten Commandments I teach at men’s meetings. I encourage you guys to read through them between oiling your gun and flexing your muscles.

(1) Be a prayer warrior
Get on your knees and fight like a man. Pray in a loving way for your family and at times when they can hear you praying for them. I actually have a prayer sword that I hold while praying for my house and when the kids wake up and see the sword is out they know I was up fighting for them last night.

(2) Impact your family before you attempt to impact the world.
I am a Pastor of a church that I love greatly. But if I have to choose between my church and my family the church is not only out of luck but also out of a Pastor. It’s not that our family doesn’t often have to make severe sacrifices, men that wont make sacrifices are wimps. It’s that my first priority in ministry is to my wife and kids. I think a lot of Pastors have really messed up on that and I’ve decided to man-up instead.

(3) Impress your children, not your buddies.
Your friends in life will come and go but your family is forever. Don’t always be expecting them to think and be relational on your level. For you to make an impact in your kids you have to think and be relational on their level. That’s why you’re the dad.

(4) Do something good in your community
Get off the couch and make a difference. The most dangerous thing in your house is not the gun in your closet but the EZ chair in your living room. Help somebody, feed somebody, clothe somebody, clean something up, and help make somebody’s life better in some tangible way. Demonstrate making a difference in other people’s lives and include your family in it.

(5) Be a God chaser
The Kingdom is progressive and Godly men should get better and better at their pursuit of God, godliness and Kingdom of God living. If you’re not progressing, you are not walking the walk.

(6) Take ownership of your mistakes
If you want to be the hero to your house, sit them all down some day and tell them what you’ve done, how it was wrong and how it has hurt the house. Apologize for what you said, did or how you acted and ask them to forgive you.

(7) Make necessary corrections
Don’t let any chick in a suit (or a man who acts like one) tell you not to discipline your kids. Have strict guidelines and outright confront things that need to be dealt with. Part of being a man of God is ending ongoing issues and finding solutions to destructive patterns within your family. Your going to have to constantly adjust and make changes throughout your life. Get over it.

(8) Be a motivator
Be hope oriented. Be a visionary. Be big picture minded. Be positive. Get out of your box and do things adventurous. Don’t be a whining sad sack that moans about how you’ve been victimized.

(9) Value integrity
Be somebody that doesn’t have to have an amen corner to do the right thing. Make good choices and don’t abide anybody that won’t. Remember God chooses character before charisma.

(10) Intercede daily for your family
While being a prayer warrior demonstrates strength through prayer, there are things that should never be heard by anyone other than the Lord. Your fears, frustrations and disappointments over your family should be between you and God and that’s it. If they know or never know it, you should be somebody they can count on to be their most able advocate in heavens court.

Contact the manly Brewer @ www.FreshFromTheBrewer.com

No comments: