Friday, May 1, 2009

LOOSE CHANGE


Are you old enough to remember Edith Bunker? She was the 1970’s sitcom mom on "All in the Family" played by Jean Stapleton. Faithful wife of Archie Bunker, mother of Gloria Bunker-Stivic, mother-in-law of Michael "Meathead" Stivic, and grandmother of baby Joey.


One of the things Edith brought to the table of national culture was the taboo subject of menopause. It seems silly now in this day of never ending erectile dysfunction commercials, but it was not very long ago that the subject of menopause would peg everybody’s cringe meter. So on national television they didn’t call it menopause, I don’t even think they said the “M” word.

They called it the change of life.


After a visit to the doctor, Gloria explained to Archie he needed to be sensitive to the fact that Edith was going through her ordeal. Later on in the episode, a frustrated Archie yells at Edith, "When I had the hernia I didn't make you wear the truss. Now if you're gonna have a change of life, you gotta do it right now. I'm gonna give you 30 seconds!"


The change of life

There’s a lot of change going on these days. In fact it’s a completely different day then just ten years ago. Most folks getting married are meeting on line and divorcing through legal websites. There are more honor students in India than there are kids in America. The Top Ten in demand jobs in 2010 did not even exist in 2004. There are more than 540,000 words in the English language which is 5 times more than Shakespeare had in his day and China is about to be the largest English speaking country in the world .


So if you are somebody who is really afraid of change, you had better get over it or get you some heavy doses of Zanex. As much as I hate to see so many good things go, I have decided that since there is nothing I can do to stop it, change for me means transition and upgrade.


I am a sixth-generation Texan having been raised in rural Johnson County. My grandfather is my hero and I used to ride bulls. I think our world war two generation is Americans greatest generation and there are lots of things about today I don’t understand. With that said, if I want to be successful, and relevant I have to be willing to change. I can’t set around and pout because Andy Griffith isn’t on TV anymore.


Our capacity to embrace life and have dominion doesn’t come from things remaining the same but through our understanding and participation in transition. I think we have to partner with God through transition and learn how to enjoy changing. Our journey though life is supposed to be progressive and God blesses pursuit.


Some people are so resistant to change and locked in on the past, they use days gone by as a filter for everything. I fight this and sometimes win but I figure since I’m not a historian, paleontologist, archaeologist or psycho-analyst I had better deal with my fascination of the past. The paleontologist in me knows that what you learn from dinosaurs is if you can’t change, you become extinct.


The art of adaptation

Several thousand years ago there was a Chinese warrior who wrote a book called The Art of War. His name was Sun Tzu. It has widely been respected for thousands of years as strategies transferable to the marketplace and other areas.


On page 19, he basically says we should watch our generals carefully and make sure they understand the principles of adaptation. If they try and fight in the mountains the same way they fought in the plains, get rid of them of them because they will kill your army. I say that is a valuable principle for today.


Change is here to stay so we need to get well versed in the art of adaptation. If we try and do things today the way we did 50 years ago, we won’t make it.

To have an edge, you need to do more than just be open to change. You need to pursue change – and you need to do it a little bit more than other people around you. Partner with God through Transition and watch Him make you victorious in this new landscape. Anticipate change, adapt quickly, enjoy change and notice the little changes so you are better prepared for the big change that might be coming. Don’t be pessimistic about anything. Be ready to change quickly, again and again and learn to love your life through the power of the Holy Spirit. Have hope and have confidence.

God is not afraid of this day so you shouldn’t be either. We are more than conquerors in all these things.

When its cold outside you wear a coat, you have adapted to the cold. You just learned the art of adaptation. Just as the weather changes, so do things in our life; change is a must, and God is in the changing business if we are willing.


Revelation 21:5
And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.


Contact the Brewer @ www.FreshFromTheBrewer.com

No comments: