Monday, June 15, 2009

The Long Haul


You may or may not know it, but American Airlines is the world's largest airline. She serves 250 cities in over 40 countries with more than 3,900 flights every single day.


The biggest plane they fly is the 777 and the longest non-stop flight they have is a 16 and ½ hour flight between Chicago and New Delhi, India. It’s nearly 7500 miles of looking at the world from seven miles up and that’s the flight I am on this week.


If you happen to be on this particular plane with me, say hi. I’ll be the guy freaking out and yelling, “There is something on the wing of this plane!” Or if I am in a better mood I’ll simply be profusely sweating and praying in the Spirit. As much as I love to travel the brewer hates to fly. Actually I have no problem with flying, its being 40,000 feet in the air I have a problem with.


For a world traveler like me to be sacred of flying is like John Wayne being scared of a horse. It’s stupid I know but it is what it is. Convinced God thinks it’s funny; I fly very long flights all throughout the world and kiss the ground when I arrive.


I have been to India several times before and had some amazing experiences there. The same man that runs the orphanage there also has his hand in a leprosy colony. So besides the conferences, preaching and food outreaches, I get to just love on hurting people. Really I think that’s what all of us want to do. We want to make a difference.


When I get on that big 777, I will be totally committed to reaching my destination and in total trust over the things I can’t control. You plan out what you are going to do, prepare yourself, buckle in and purpose to enjoy every minute. It’s really no different from every day is it?


This week’s confession from a highly caffeinated Christian comes brewing with reflections on the long haul of life. The victory Jesus Christ offers us is Biblically known as Overcoming Victory. This victory is certainly not just about the destination of heaven but more about the journey through life. The rewards we receive in Heaven are not given because we made it there. He’s the one who gets the credit for that. The rewards in this life and in the one to come are all about how we take the Journey.


The Kingdom of God is progressive and so are you and I, at least we should be. So let’s be committed to getting there, trust God for what we cannot control and do our best to enjoy every minute of the ride.


For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith

1 John 5:4


Contact the Brewer by clicking ‘Troy Brewer’ at http://www.joshuastar.net/

No comments: