Thursday, January 7, 2010

A Knight to Remember

My father in law, Ray Knight, had been going down hill for sometime but he told all of us he would do his best to live to see Christmas. Hospice wasn’t so sure, but Ray insisted he would be there for the annual celebration and family get together. He was bound and determined he knew exactly when he would be leaving Texas and entering Heaven.

“Sometime after Christmas and before the New year”, Ray said smiling, like he always did.

There’s a neat thing that happens in my wife’s family where people tend to know when their days are done. Ray’s Grandfather was one of those guys and probably the most pronounced with this gift.

Grandpa Knight was well in his nineties when he decided to build his church a new building. “It will take me about two years”, he said, “and the first service we are going to have in it will be my funeral.”

Just like he promised, he finished his building two years later. Now what happened next is legendary in his church and among our family. Grandpa Knight went home that day, called his son, put on a suit, and climbed into bed and died! The very first service was indeed his funeral service just like he prophesied.

His Grandson, my wife’s dad, had some of that in him. When I walked into his room on Christmas day he was excited about having a very real white Christmas. He was feeling good and in a great mood.

“Well, you did it Ray, you made it to Christmas like you said you would.” I said, as I helped him set up to eat. “You think you will make it to New Years?”

“No I’m not gonna be here for New Years.” He said smiling.

“Come on Ray, you look great today, you look better than I do.” and Ray never missed a beat, “I always look better than you do.”

Later that night after we had all gone home, Ray went unconscious and past away on the morning of the 27th. Like Babe Ruth calling his shot, Ray Knight hit it out the ballpark by knowing the right time.

All of us will cherish that white Christmas as Ray’s last day with us. I especially appreciate the opportunity we had to say our goodbyes and to pray together. It is only fitting that I tell you what scripture he told my wife was his favorite on Christmas day. There is some wisdom in it for all of us.

So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom" (Psalm 90:12).

Visit the Brewer on line at www.troybrewer.com www.freshfromthenrewer.com or www.opendoorministries.org

No comments: