Thursday, December 16, 2010

AT SEASONS END

I love it when the first cold front blows thru in September and the temperature drops 30 degrees. It means the Summer season is over and the fall time is here.
I also love it when I look up at night and no longer see Scorpio’s tail in the heavens but Orion’s belt and sword in the east. It means the season has changed and winter is here. Just about the time my Wisteria begins to bloom, I tend to catch a giant V of Geese headed back north to Canada. And it is so much fun to sit down in my chair in the back yard, watch the sun go down and hear the locusts and crickets fire up for the first time. There is hope in seasonal changes.

God is the designer of times and seasons. He made sure that people can separate in their mind the difference between childhood and young adult life. He wants things to be different for us in our strong thirties than it is in our mellow seventies.

For the person who hates the hard work of summer, there is always the harvest of Fall. I love how God has such a value for Hope.

Today you find me at the end of a season. For the past seven years I have faithfully and joyfully hammered out my thoughts and theology in this column. I am hanging up my newspaper column hat today.

THE REASON FOR THE SEASON

Nothing negative what soever provokes me to make this change. Seeing my writings in newspapers everywhere has been a dream come true for me.
It’s just that at 44, I do not find things slowing down but much much busier. My recent move to Down Town Joshua and our incredible church growth has me stepping and fetching in a way like I never anticipated. My life has changed and so has my ability to meet another deadline.

I am about to start a school to train up people in ministry and once things settle down at Open Door, I will spend several days a month in foreign countries training Pastors and working on my orphanages. My Calendar of conference speaking is filling up and as grateful as I am to the Lord for that opportunity, I know it means saying good by to my love of writing this column.

I will still write it from time to time but I just can’t promise to keep a deadline anymore and my editors deserve better than that. So I don’t want to be like Bret Farve, I want to be like Michael Jordan and leave the game while people are still very happy with what I do.

Saying Good Bye

Just a moment ago My brother-in-law, Lonnie Applegate called me and said that my good friend John Smith is living his last day in a hospital in Ft Worth. John and I played in the same band, The Midnight Riders, as kids. we actually provided all the music for the Joshua Centennial, back in the day. Apparently John has suffered some kind of diabetic stroke and today his family has painfully and prayerfully decided to pull the plug on John’s machine.

I expect the next time I see him, he will be happy and young and funny like he was when he was a kid. I look forward to that and as I type this out I pray that John’s last moment in Texas will be peaceful and full of God’s presence. Its the end of a season for my friend John and the beginning of a new one.

I have to go guys. My daughter finished high school early and today, not unlike my friend John, is the day she graduates. Her older sister also graduated early from Burleson High and Rhema is walking the stage at TEAM school in Cleburne today. It is a time of celebrating what we have done and moving on to the next big thing.

Blessings and peace and a really fun life be yours in Jesus Christ.
Troy A Brewer
www.opendoorexperience.com

No comments: