Friday, October 2, 2009

The Secret to Winning

I have some amazing friends in Northern California who love everything about Texas except the Dallas Cowboys. Bless their hearts, I have to allow them some stupidity.

They call our beloved football team “The evil empire” and refer to Jerry Jones as “The Emperor”. They believe our new stadium to be an unholy place and say it looks like the death star. Of course, they are just jealous because the 49ers stink and the bible says where envy is there is every evil work. As my kids would say, get over your bad self.

Blue & White Blood

I was raised to be a loyal Cowboy fan. If someone in my family doesn’t like the Cowboys it is believed to be a manifestation of a demonic spirit or proof one of my grandmothers jumped the fence and polluted our DNA.

I totally left our families tradition of being a GMC fan and bought a new Dodge truck several years ago, I have converted from PC to Mac but it would be a fatal blow to my dear old mom and dad if I didn’t root for the cowboys. My rebellion can only go so far.

As a Cowboy fan, I have paid close attention to what our coaches have said through they years. The great Tom Landry didn’t speak very much but when he did, sometimes it was brilliant. In a 1979 interview with dandy Don Meredith, Coach Landry said, “A winner never stops trying and the real secret to winning is being constant and consistent.

Constant, Consistent and Faithful

I was thinking about Coach Landry this morning while listening to my friend Graham Cook preach from a conference several years ago. Like Coach, Graham believes that having victory is all about being consistent and constant. He went on to say that in order to tap into a consistent and constant walk of progression in the Lord Jesus Christ, we must understand how God persistently and constantly keeps us. He’s not on again and off again with us. He is for us and loves us all the time. I know a lot of people don’t believe that but I do and this is Fresh From The Brewer. Ha!

“The great thing about journeying with the Lord,” Graham says, “is that He knows how to keep us. Day after day…there is no situation or no circumstance …where He does not have the power to keep us and to prosper us in all those things.”.

“That’s a fabulous thought for me because in all of the ups and downs of life, God is the one remaining constant. What The Holy spirit is teaching us today is how to be constant like God is….and the biggest part of that deal is that you can not know what it is like to be constant, consistent, and faithful unless you know what it is like to be kept by God and experience him as all those things…What God wants from you, He first of all gives to you.” Graham says.

Well I tip my hat to Graham and to coach Landry both for mapping out this important Kingdom principle of victory. You can’t give away what you do not have. If we are going to be really victorious people we have to be consistently constant in our pursuit and love for the Lord. The only way that can happen is if we first understand how God never gives up on us. He’s just really neat like that.

Troy Brewer Pastors Open Door Ministries near Joshua TX and can be reached at troy@opendoorministries.org

No comments: