Thursday, October 29, 2009

Vera-Cruise

Last week I was pounding my keyboard about the importance of rejecting racial prejustice. I am sure I managed to hack off some people by merely mentioning race and pegging the cringe meters of a few of my limp wristed coherts in ministry. They can all get over themselves and don't even bother trying to call me. At the time you are reading this I will be suffering for Jesus on a cruise to Jamaica and the Grand Cayman.

Once a year my wife and I do a marriage retreat with several good friends of ours where we take off to sandy beaches and distant shorelines. We farm the kids out and try realy hard to forget about everything. well- we don't really have to try that hard.

Through the years Leanna and I have been to Cozumel, Belize, Cancun, Progresso, Veracruz, the Caymans and Jamaica on 7 different trips. Progresso is a septic tank and you shouldn't even bother getting off of the boat but Veracruz is a detour I hope all of you have the privilege of seeing.

Several years ago Hurricane Wilma was tearing up the Gulf of mexico with my boat steaming right across the middle of it. Everybody on board was sea sick and it was something akin to being in a car wreck for ten solid hours. While cozumel was being blown off the map our ship got diverted to an unscheduled stop at Veracruz, Mexico.

Out of all the places I have been on a cruise Vera-cruise has been at the top of my favorite by far. The city is just beautiful and they have a trolly system that makes a circuit through the whole town. if you don't get off you end up at the same place you started so you don't have to worry about getting lost. The people were wonderful and friendly. It was just really neat.

Lunch with a Queen
We also ate at a lovely little restaurant on a cobble stoned street next to an ancient mission first established by Cortez himself. While we were sitting there, an extremely old lady hobbled up and asked us if she could have the bread on our table. I told her no and my wife looked at me really surprised. before she turned away I jumped up and pulled out a chair for her to sit at our table and said “Benvenidos”. Leanna handed her a menu and that Lady lit up like a Christmas tree. We spent the entire after noon talking and laughing and eating and loving on each other. She would pull on my fat cheek like I was a little boy and kiss me . My wife thought she was hilarious and our conversation lasted for a very long time. She went on and on.

I wish I could tell you what we talked about but I cant because I don’t speak spanish and that old lady didn't speak a word of english. It didn't matter.

Dinner with The King
In the book of revelation Jesus promises that if anyone will hear his voice and open the door he will come in and sit down to eat with us like family. I love God’s priority on family and fellowship. If you do have to miss veracruz, I really am sorry but there is no reason for you to miss the table with Jesus. He’s not knocking at your door with his hand, he’s knocking with His voice. He’s calling you by name and He doesnt just want you to be His servant, He wants you to be family.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me Revelation 3:20

www.troybrewer.com www.freshfromthebrewer.com

No comments: