Friday, September 24, 2010

15 YEARS AND COUNTING

There are some strange traditions when it comes to anniversaries. Some traditional person, a mindful female who had her act together I’m sure, decided once and for all to put the order of required anniversary gifts into stone. Of course, this is a bane for those of us, especially men, who do not have our acts together. I have no idea what the story is behind every year’s traditional anniversary gifts but they seem a little, well . . . odd.

For example paper is the traditional gift for a first anniversary. I think this can be misinterpreted. I can see some hillbilly in Johnson County right now, “Here ya go honey, I got this here roll of Charmin for ya.” We might need to clarify.

Cotton is what you’re supposed to get your bride on your second anniversary. Here comes the hillbilly again, stomping in the house with his muddy boots holding a big rooted green plant with cotton balls on it. “I picked this up between Cleburne and Hillsboro, Baby.”

The traditional gift for a third year anniversary is leather. “I know we don’t have a horse, but you’ll look good on this saddle, Sweetie.”

The traditional gift for a fourth year anniversary is linen. “Heres a copy of the White Album by the Beatles. I know that John was always your favorite.”

I could go on, but when you get to number 15, it turns out to be crystal. The number 15 stands out to me this week and not because I’ve been watching Sesame Street. This time of year marks our anniversary at Open Door, and it turns out that this is 15 years.

HINDSIGHT
I’ve got a crystal clear view of the past 15 years: living from sermon to sermon. There are so many things I would love to do over and so many things that I don’t think I could ever make happen again. There is nothing boring about starting up a church, and I think ministry is a lot like getting old. It is not for wimps.

So here is my list of Top 15 things I have learned about life , church and surviving as a pastor for the past 15 years.

(1) Most of what we teach, isn't taught on purpose.

(2) Never compliment anyone on being pregnant unless they tell you they are pregnant.

(3) God did not put any of us here to change or control people. We have full time jobs judging ourselves.

(4) There is no correlation between the price of a brand of batteries and how long they last.

(5) You see people’s glory but you don’t see their story. Victorious people make it look easy to live that way.

(6) As long as there are zippers, Plexiglass pulpits can be a powerful tool for the devil.

(7) If you know lots of people, a lot of those people will be with you for only a season in your life.

(8) A little bit of Jesus can make up for a whole lot of stupid

(9) God doesn't do great things through a church service. He does great things through the relationships of the people in a church service.

(10) It takes hard work to be a blessing.

(11) Church doesn't make God love you more. A good church helps you love God more.

(12) The Great Commission is not the Great Commandment, and preaching is not a priority over loving God and loving people.

(13) It is necessary in Johnson County, Texas, to have no smoking signs on the church doors.

(14) If you tell your own stories people will not have anything on you.

(15) Every single one of us are in desperate need of a savior.

I have needed a lot of grace in my life and continue to need it all the more. A big shout out to everybody who has been a part of my personal journey. Wherever you are, whether we have ever met or not, I thank God for you, and may all of us remain teachable people willing to move forward.

www.openddoorministries.org www.freshfromthebrewer.com
www.troybrewer.com

No comments: