Friday, October 1, 2010

THE ART OF CELEBRATION

Godly people celebrate things. The creation story of Genesis not only gives us a glimpse of how things got started, but also of the heart of the Creator Himself. At the end of every day, even though things were not finished being made, God celebrated each accomplishment. Without a group of friends and family to help Him, He still put on a little party hat, threw some confetti in the air, and said, “It is good.”

God celebrates accomplishment. God celebrates life, even though it is a long way from being perfect. It doesn't have to be perfect, it merely has to be good for God to stop and throw a party at the end of the day.

I was thinking about this principle last week. So I decided to list some little things in life worth celebrating, things that make me do a little dance and say, “It is good.”

Last week I sent out a list of the Top 15 things I had learned in 15 years of pastoring a three ring church circus. People like lists, but more that that, people like good lists. There are things I love about life and I have listed some them because my list may help you make your own list. It’s a good day to be happy.

THINGS I LOVE TO CELEBRATE
I love to sing the guitar solos of my favorite songs.

I love to drive on hot summer nights with my windows down.

I love to scratch my back with BBQ utensils while cooking.

I love to correctly guess if the door is a push or a pull and just go right through . It confirms that I have a prophetic gift.

I love an upgrade--any kind of upgrade or comp thrown in. It convinces me I am still God’s favorite.

I love it when the Cowboys play on Monday Night Football.

I love it when the weather changes drastically, especially when a cold front blows in.

I love getting all the way through customs at DFW and hearing the officer say, “Welcome home.”

I love it when it rains right after I, or preferably one of my boys, have cut the grass.

I love to let go of the gas pump and see it land on exactly the dollar amount I wanted it to. It means that I still have cat like reflexes.

I love making fun of the picture on your driver’s license.

I love eating the cookie dough instead of waiting for it to be baked.

I love different accents and the way people talk.

I love climbing into a warm bed on a cold night.

Once I start making this list, I can’t stop. I didn't even get into boat docks, sunsets or puppy breath. The bottom line is that there are things in all of our lives worth celebrating. I think when we fail to make a big deal out of the right things, we make an even bigger deal out of the wrong things.

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. Collosians 2:6-8

No comments: