Friday, October 29, 2010

Moving Day

When I was a very little kid I lived in Alvarado. I spent a few of my single digits in Burleson and then moved a few miles east of Joshua. That was about 35 years ago and I was not quite 9 years old. I have been here ever since.

Being a speaker and a Teacher, I have had the privilege of visiting 31 nations throughout the world and nearly all of them multiple times but for me, Johnson County feels the most like home.

Joshua was a 1 A school district when I was a 3rd grader, and H D Staples was not the name of the school building, it was the name of my principle. The reason the little street outside of that elementary school is called College street is because there used to actually be a college there. The remains of that three story building was still standing until I was a fifth grader.

Just two blocks north of HD Staples elementary school and in between College and Min street was the campus of First Baptist church. It was a church with great influence in our little town. In the 70’s and 80’s they were one of the only churches that hauled kids like me and my buddy Robert Copeland to Sunday School and the only church that was willing to put up with us.

In the sixth grade, they held some kind of kid’s crusade in the summertime, I think it was a vacation bible school. At the end of the week they asked me if I wanted to be baptized and since it was a hot day I was more than willing to get wet. I was so excited because I got to go swimming and go to heaven all on the same day.

All these years later I find my self typing this out from my new office on that same property. We just recently bought this building and this Sunday we are having our first service here. I have come back. Not as a little kid wanting to get wet or a teenager hiding my snuff can but as the guy who will be leading and doing the teaching.

This Sunday, when the praise band hits the first A chord and our 9 foot by 16 foot stage screen lights up like the 4th of July, look for a good looking fat man behind a Fender Strat with a custom, Texas flag paint job on it. I’ll be the guy with the bewildered look on his face wondering how in the world could I be on this stage and living the life I am living.

I will be the guy with no way to properly articulate how good God really is. I will be the one with no explanation as to why I get to be the one telling the stories instead of hearing about them. All I can say is that God is good and somehow that just doesn't do it.

My prayer and thought for you today is that you are so blessed you are unable to really define how it has all happened. I call that living an unexplainable life. I hope your blessing and your walk with God goes beyond what you are able to figure out.

The Miracle Mile

It has been a long haul for us but a glorious one. This coming sunday we will actually have one service instead of three and it will start at 10:00 am. We are holding off our grand opening until November 21st where we will have two identical services, 9:30 am and 11:00 am.

One of these days, I hope to see every one of you face to face. When I do, I hope we both look like dummies because we just cant find the words to describe how Good God has been to both of us.

Ephesians 3:20 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us...

www.opendoorexperience.com

No comments: