Friday, October 8, 2010

TO BE FREE AND KNOT TO BE

The ability to tie knots can be a really big deal. When I was a kid, I was always amazed at how my step dad could tie knots — which he learned how to do in the Navy. I also remember Julius Reinach, an old German immigrant, teaching us Cub Scouts how to tie a slipknot. What a hard job that brother had!

I didn't learn how to tie my shoes until I was 34, so it took me a while to learn knots. I am still learning.

A Honda Knot is the knot all the cowboys use to form a lasso. It makes a nearly perfect circle. A Trucker’s Knot is one of those knots that, once you learn to use, you wonder how you ever got a long without it.

If you go to netknots.com there are animated videos of more than 50 knots, and step-by-step instructions. You can also download an iPhone app and take several thousand years of rope knowledge with you everywhere you go.

Last week, a friend of mine sent me a poem she had written and I thought it good enough to include in this week’s sip from the Carpenter’s cup. Rest is a weapon and anything we can do to help each other get untied and unbound is worth doing. Enjoy.

DEAR GOD,

Please untie the knots that are in my mind, my heart and life.
Remove the have-nots, the can-nots and the do-nots that I hang on to.
Erase the will-nots, may-nots and might-nots that find a home in my heart. Release me from the could-nots, would-nots and should-nots that obstruct my life.
Most of all, Dear God, I ask that you remove from my mind, my heart and all my life the am-nots that I have allowed to hold me back.
Especially that thought that I am not good enough to go forward. Untie me Lord.

Amen

Troy Brewer is the pastor of Open Door Ministries, and can be found on the web at www.freshfromthebrewer.com, www.troybrewer.com and www.opendoorministries.org.

No comments: